Friday 4 June 2010

End of Module Evaluation

My initial intentions for this module was to push my styles and methods of illustration further by choosing to apply them and working within the discipline of applied illustration for this final major project. I feel that as an illustrator I wanted to display that I don't just merely create images for the sake of creating an image, but for them to have a suitable context and work well with the designed outcomes and I feel I succeeded in this. The briefs I chose, I chose specifically due to the variation between them, which where; packaging, promotional/branding, book cover design, pattern and paper product design, these allowed me to create a selection of designs and outcomes very different in style and method but still illustration based and I am happy with the outcomes I have created.I feel throughout this FMP I have allowed myself to develop my own personal ways of working with illustration and accept using different stylistic approaches for different briefs to produce the most suitable outcomes.

I feel that over the past three years and over this past module specifically my design practice has been polished and refined, I feel confident in what I know I can create and I'm more aware of what won't work for my way of working within design. At the beginning of the module, it felt like a slow start, I felt perhaps unsure of where myself and my work would be placed within the commercial industry and how to approach it over the last project, but soon after refining my choice of briefs I realized that the variation would be the strength of pushing my work as before I was trying to find briefs that were entirely focused on illustration, while these allowed me to chose open briefs and approach them with illustration I soon picked up the pace and began enjoying the project. I found working between hand rendered and computer based imagery really allowed me to grow a greater appreciation of translating an initial idea to its final resolution, and having the confidence to make the right decisions to get it there.

While working through this project, I continued to create work outside of this, I took on more commissioned works for Burlesque events and performers which allowed me to gain a knowledge of working for a paying client and to a specific set brief. I felt comfortable and confident in working through a process of emails, having to change, tweak and adjust to the clients specifics and feel I gained a lot from allowing myself to experience a freelance approach to working as an illustrator. I also began to feel the idea of a successful live piece of paid work too!

My design context allowed myself to sum up my design practice and what drives it, I found this incredibly useful, especially interviews I took part in and collected from artists who were exactly where I aim to be in a matter of time, while the end product didn't turn out as well as I hope due to a series of printings errors, I feel the final piece itself works successfully and definitely reflects on who I am as a designer and where I am to be and what will drive me there.

I feel I am now in possession of a series of pieces and outcomes that will add towards my portfolio, displaying me as an illustrator, but an applied illustrator who can work to many different types of briefs in a manner of different styles, but more importantly can make the right decisions on how to approach these briefs and what styles work best.

As cliche as it perhaps sounds, I feel this has been my most successful module for me personally, I feel I have pushed my designs and worked well towards the end of this module, and the course and finally feel more confident with where my work will sit and be applied in a commercial industry.

No comments:

Post a Comment